thealyssum

Alyssa's Bookshelf

I'm Alyssa. My main passion is books and music. I love Ed Sheeran and Doctor Who a little too much.

Angelfall (Penryn and the End of Days)

Angelfall (Penryn and the End of Days, #1) - Susan Ee

First of all, I am surprised to know that this book was self-published.I am happy that Susan Ee's Angelfall has become so popular and received its own official publishing deal with Amazon.

The action in this novel is one of it's strong points. The characters were very intriguing and I like how they have gradual development. I really like Penryn. She is a very strong protagonist, and as always, I liked female protagonists with angst, determination and has a tough frame in them. Penryn never backs down from a fight, she always try to go as far as to when she had started. Her team-up with Raffe creates a fierce combat as she tries to get her sister back, but simultaneously she feels as if she is working with an enemy against her own kind.

I also appreciated the fact that this book hasn't got any sappy romance details written for teenagers in order for them to "swoon", or in other words, to capture their attention. I deeply hope that Ee maintains that kind of pace. If not, then Angelfall could have been easily fallen into a paranormal romance cliche. Not that there's necessarily anything wrong with romances in paranormal books.

Angelfall is a well-written book, features a strong portrayal of characters, and presents a unique take on the angel apocalypse.