thealyssum

Alyssa's Bookshelf

I'm Alyssa. My main passion is books and music. I love Ed Sheeran and Doctor Who a little too much.

The Book Thief - Trudy White, Markus Zusak

It was during May 2012 I could remember the first time I read The Book Thief, and the reason for not writing a review about this novel is that I couldn't pluck up the courage to do so. I'm afraid that what I would write would not be something that's entirely the feeling I've felt while reading this book. It left me in such a mess that I just couldn't think properly. Forthwith, I'm going to write down my thoughts.

A glimmering 5 star, without hesitation.I've always been reluctant to read The Book Thief when I first saw it. But then when I finally had the time to devour the story of it, I wondered why I've waited so long.

The Book Thief is narrated by Death, himself. Unfolding a story of a girl named Liesel Meminger, how she was adopted by the Hubermanns, and befriended a Jewish fist fighter named Max. Met Rudy, a young boy with lemon-colored hair. And among everything, how she became 'The Book Thief.'

I love how the characters in this novel are authentic and real. The passages were full of emotions and were broad that I had to stop and re-read again for a minute or two in order to understand it. Here are some of my favourites:

"I have hated words and I have loved them, and I hope I have made them right."

"I wanted to tell the book thief many things, about beauty and brutality. But what            could I tell her about those things that she didn't already know? I wanted to explain        that I am constantly overestimating and underestimating the human race-that rarely      do I ever simply estimate it. I wanted to ask her how the same thing could be so ugly      and so glorious, and its words and stories so damning and brilliant.”

Oh my god, this one!!!

"She leaned down and looked at his lifeless face and Leisel kissed her best friend,         Rudy Steiner, soft and true on his lips. He tasted dusty and sweet. He tasted like           regret in the shadows of trees and in the glow of the anarchist's suit collection. She       kissed him long and soft, and when she pulled herself away, she touched his mouth       with her fingers...She did not say goodbye. She was incapable, and after a few more     minutes at his side, she was able to tear herself from the ground. It amazes me what     humans can do, even when streams are flowing down their faces and they stagger         on..."

The Book Thief is surprisingly a magnificent work of literature. It overrun my expectations, left me in a perplexed state and taught me something unfamiliar. The way Zusak entwine words together is exquisite yet tragic. The Book Thief is an unforgettable novel about the calamity of life, a love that awaits, and the power of words.