thealyssum

Alyssa's Bookshelf

I'm Alyssa. My main passion is books and music. I love Ed Sheeran and Doctor Who a little too much.

The Little Prince - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, Richard Howard The Little Prince is a novella which tells the story of a pilot (the narrator, himself) who got stuck on a dessert. And the Little Prince -- a blond child who claims he comes from an altogether small planet.As we read through the novella, we learn that the Prince's meager world is occupied by three volcanoes, nasty baobabs, and a rose with 4 thorns which the Prince came to love greatly. He discovered that the rose is an arrogant and boastful plant, urging the Prince to leave his planet.While wandering from a planet to another, the prince come across a vulnerable King, a businessman who claims to own the stars, a tippler, and a lamplighter who regularly turns on and off the lamplight, which is big enough to take up his whole planet.The Little Prince's encounter with the adults made him more confused with grown-ups and their "matter of consequence." When he came to Earth, he also gradually realised that he had made a fault for leaving his rose alone to protect herself. This bit can be read at the part where he meets the fox (and eventually tames it) and utters the following phrases (which, for me is the best part of this book):"...It is only with heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye." and"Men have forgotten this truth," said the fox. "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. You are responsible for your rose."The novella ends with the Prince choosing to leave the Earth and go back to his own planet in a powerful way, leaving the narrator with a skill to hear the laughter in stars, and to admire the wonders of childhood. Generally, the tale of The Little Prince reminds us about the importance of childhood curiosity and innocence, duty, and their affair with the happenings in their surroundings and the people around them, mostly the grown-ups.